What Is CuriOdyssey?
As a science and wildlife center, CuriOdyssey helps children acquire the tools to deeply understand the changing world.
Children are natural scientists. They are naturally curious, innately experimental, and diligent in their pursuit to understand something. At CuriOdyssey, we foster scientific curiosity. We give young learners the opportunity to make discoveries at their own pace, one brain-building revelation after another.
We do this by offering children real-world experiences with inquiry and investigation. Here, young people can explore interactive science exhibits and have up-close encounters with native California animals (our 100 animals have come to us as rescued or non-releasable).
- Science exhibits: Interactive exhibits present nature’s surprising and often beautiful phenomena. Children do real science as they change and test variables.
- Wildlife exhibits: Habitats allow visitors both young and old an up-close view of native California animals. CuriOdyssey is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). Fewer than 10% of zoos and aquariums nationwide are accredited by AZA.
- Animal Ambassadors and Wildlife programs: A world-class team of wildlife educators lead exciting programs presenting our extensive collection of education animals. Also called Animal Ambassadors, these include many species of birds, small mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and more. Volunteers show animals directly and allow visitors to touch them as they learn about them.
- School science programs: Our expert science educators lead popular interactive education programs and wildlife programs both on-site and in-schools.
- Public education programs: Our expert science educators lead engaging education and wildlife programs for the general public. Children and families investigate, discover, and interact with natural world phenomena in workshops, presentations, and camps.
An award-winning, popular destination
More than 135,000 Bay Area children and families visited the museum last year. In just a few short years since beginning to develop as an interactive science center, CuriOdyssey has been recognized locally and nationally as a leader in informal science education:
- In 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 we were recognized as the “Best Museum on the Peninsula” by the readers of Bay Area Parent Magazine.
- In 2010 we were recognized with the Nickelodeon “Parent’s Pick Award” for Best Museum in the San Francisco Area.
- In 2009 the Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC) presented Rachel Meyer, Executive Director, the “Roy L. Shafer Leading Edge Award for Experienced Leadership in the Field.”
- In 2009 our exhibition, “The Science of Nature,” was an international finalist for the Association of Science-Technology Centers’ (ASTC) Roy L. Shafer Leading Edge Award for Visitor Experience.